Sunday, January 29, 2012

{ "And that supports you?" // Personal }

Hi friends. Here we are on the eve of a brand new week. It's 11:14pm, and I'm wide awake with a hot cup of tea and Norah Jones playing softly in the background.

I feel just as mellow and content as this tree.

395974_10151201076535790_710590789_22607571_1628998774_n

I sincerely hope your weekend has been every kind of fabulous. The last 48 hours have been full and I am exhausted but, I want to write about something that I find, well, kind of funny. And kind of embarrassing. And well, I don't really know what to make of it. Kind of like vegetarian chili.

* * * *

So picture this, because you need to mentally watch the awkward interaction as I experience it...

New Person: Hi! I'm New Person! What's your name?
Me: Hi! I'm Kristen. It's nice to meet you.
New Person: You too. So, what do you do?
Me: Oh me? I'm a photographer.
New Person: Wow, really?! And that supports you?
Me: Yes. Yes it does...

* * * *

So you got that? Good. Now put it on repeat cause that's my life lately, baby!! ;)

The question if my photography adequately supports me doesn't particularly bother me. Though the more it's asked, the more I realize it strikes an odd-sounding chord on the strings of my heart.

Maybe because when I think about continuing the conversation with something like, "You're an IT guy? Great! And that supports you? You get three meals a day and all? You can buy clothes and stuff?" I just have this feeling they wouldn't be smiling so big after we're done talking.

So yes, I'm a photographer. And yes, I'm extremely thankful that I'm able to make art for a living. And yes, I love my job. You heard me, I.love.my.job.

And while I've by no means "MADE IT!" or have intentions to build a huge name for myself, I have more than what I need right now. And honestly living in missions for a few years has taught me to creatively make the most of what I have and really dig simplicity.

See I pursue photography for two reasons. ONE, because I really enjoy it. And TWO, because I have a desire that my photographs would draw people's attention to the creator of this beautiful world.

Romans 1:20 is hard core and it rocks my soul every time I read it.

"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities - his eternal power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse."

0991110246ce11e1a87612313804ec91_7

So I'm pretty motivated to keep doing what I do. And yes, Mr. & Mrs. New Person, I'm a photographer, I love what I do, and I actually have a roof over my head! Fancy that! :)

397093_10151201775875790_710590789_22609440_1931299640_n

2 comments:

  1. Eldredge writes that "the glory of God is man fully alive". It's obvious in the photos you post that you come alive when doing photography. Too many people settle for jobs that don't fit their passion because "it pays the bills". But in truth, they're dying every moment in that job. I think it's awesome that you have a job that you love; one that goes with your passions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry I think this is funny... why is it anyones business if you can support yourself at it? why do they think thats ok to even ask? people are odd...

    ReplyDelete