Thursday, January 27, 2011

{ I went to Australia // Part 1 }

Hey there,

So can we backup say...about three months?

This past November I had the wow, can't-hardly-believe-it experience of going back to Australia. Why, you wonder? I'm glad you asked.

Those who've known me for longer than a day know I'm passionate about orphan-care. I actually work for an organization called Bring Me Hope (you should check it out!) and we run summer camps for kids in China.

We love these kids so deeply that we can't hold it in. So we tend to wander to places, shouting from the rooftops (where possible) our love for these children and inviting other people to become involved.

We've had more and more volunteers come over from Oz (That's Aussie language for Australia) and I was asked to spend a few weeks connecting with those amazing, lovely people and also sharing the kids stories on what we call Speaking Tours.

So there you have it. That's why I was compelled to sit in a middle seat of a huge jet for 14+ hours. All for love.

* * *

But of course I was blessed too (though who wouldn't be blessed by being asked to go spend time in Australia? Unless it was several hundred years ago I suppose...)

My friend Nicole and I were met at the Sydney airport by our dear friends, who were also coincidentally the loudest people there and adorned with Hawaiian lays and bright pig wigs.

We happily piled our bags into their van and we drove right into the heart of Sydney. Oh, it was wonderful.

It was right during the morning rush, so we saw people going thisaway...

DSC_7047btag

And thataway.

DSC_7046btag

It was this kind of a day. (of which I have no complaints :)

DSC_7303btag

We walked around The Rocks. Cool place. I'm guessing most people would dig it as much as I did.

DSC_7061btag

Then we took a stroll around the Opera House. That area is just so enchanting. Add friends and a strong cup of morning coffee on a gray day and you have pure heaven on earth.

DSC_7167btag

DSC_7121btag

DSC_7158btag

DSC_7100btag

By the harbor!

DSC_7128b


Here's Eli, my little Aussie brother.

DSC_7213b

This is not Eli.

DSC_7086btag

Intriguing sign...

DSC_7110btag

Anyway, I saw some things flying around...

DSC_7177btag

DSC_7227btag

Later our tummys started rumbling (airplane food is not an option) so we checked this out:

DSC_7241btag

Things that caught my eye...

DSC_7246btag

DSC_7247btag

DSC_7250btag

DSC_7252btag

DSC_7261btag

Apparently this is a famous spot for wedding photos. So we also took a photo...

DSC_7259b

So we were led to a youth hostel that had a fun view on the roof. Made.Me.Happy. :)

DSC_7275btag

DSC_7289btag

Long drives + Music + Rain also makes me happy...

DSC_7300btag

More coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment